Start Writing Your Family History
This event has been cancelled
A Communications Workshop in 5 Lessons
Pre-requisite: completion of Start Searching Your Family History or approval from the Instructor.
This series of five 3-hour classes was developed by writer and researcher Brenda L. Smith. The classes address each beginning family history researcher's need to report and publish research findings. Working with their own materials and supporting each other, learners discover how to move from the gathering of information to creating a publishable product. Learners will set goals for their research, organize and evaluate their data, and practice writing basic history research reports. Learners must also be willing to share writing samples with classmates and participate in oral evaluations of each other's work.
Participants must be able to commit to attending all five sessions.
- January 20 - Lesson 1: The Research Cycle
- Examine the basics of writing practice including: audience identification, choosing a genre, identifying a topic
- February 3 - Lesson 2: Organize to Write
- Explore organizational approaches, citation, and apply standards of proof. Practice cooperative evaluation techniques.
- February 24 - Lesson 3: Get it on Paper
- Move from research to writing mode. Practice creating documents and discussing evidence.
- March 10 - Lesson 4: Edit
- Decide what to use, what to eliminate, what to rewrite, what to save for next time.
- March 24 - Lesson 5: Publish
- Discuss the publishing process in preparation for larger projects: including print and multimedia.
Cloverdale Library 5642 176A St, Surrey, BC V3S 4G9Room:
$100 for the series. Contact branch to register.
Registration not complete until fee is paid.