Casual Public Services Assistants
Surrey Libraries seeks bright, energetic and enthusiastic applicants to work on-call in all ten of our locations. The Casual Public Services Assistant performs a variety of duties related to providing exceptional customer experience to maintain efficient, welcoming and inclusive library operations. Examples include answering queries relating to general library service as well as member accounts; checking materials in and out of the system; collecting fees; answering basic information and readers’ advisory queries; and handling incoming and outgoing materials.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Flexible availability, including evenings, weekends and peak vacation times (spring break, summer break, Christmas break and the days preceding/following statutory holidays)
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Keyboarding speed of 35 words per minute
- Excellent customer service, problem solving and spoken and written communication skills.
- Basic Knowledge of library resource and collections, as related to work performed.
- Ability to work positively, with flexibility, initiative and accountability in challenging environment.
- Other skills include knowledge of computer hardware and software applications, and online resources.
- The ability to meet the physical demands of the work including safe handling of materials.
- Ability to learn new skills with the commitment to continuous development.
Public Services Clerks
Surrey Libraries seeks energetic and enthusiastic applicants who love books. Public Services Clerks sorts, shelves and cleans library materials, keeps the library in neat and orderly condition, handles incoming and outgoing materials. Public Services Clerks also assists in basic clerical tasks, such as processing materials, assisting with displays, program setup or takedown, answers basic and directional customer questions, and locates and retrieves materials, such as holds and traces. Performs other related duties. Clerks work part-time hours at one branch but can pick up hours at other locations.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Available during library open hours, including evenings and weekends
- Excellent spelling, sorting and filing skills
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Detail oriented and organized
- Able to take direction and work independently
- Able to work quickly and accurately
- 15 years of age or older
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with other staff.
- Are physically fit: able to lift and carry books, push and pull carts of library materials on a regular basis and stand for 5 or more hours
- Knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System as well as alphanumeric sequencing
How to Apply
Surrey Libraries accepts applications for current postings only, before the closing date. If you are interested in more than one position, you must submit separate applications. Although we thank you for your interest in applying to Surrey Libraries, please note that only candidates who are considered will be contacted.
Contacted candidates will be required to successfully complete job-related assessments to validate their knowledge and skills. As a condition of employment, candidates who have been offered employment will be required to complete Criminal Record Checks. If you are sending your application electronically, there is a chance that the email you send to us could be intercepted in transit or sent to the wrong address. If you are concerned about the confidentiality of information (including your personal information) in transit, you should send it to us by a secure means. Surrey Libraries’ preferred method of delivery is by email.