Surrey Libraries is an innovative and award winning library system that provides a wide range of materials, programs and information services to the community. We are a growing library system, recognized for our ability to respond creatively to our active and diverse community through outreach to community groups and partnerships with agencies. In addition to our collections, progressive use of technology and a wide variety of online resources, we specialize in genealogical materials and multilingual collections in 16 languages. Our 10 branches, together with our website generated over 4.5 million visits last year, offering a wide range of publications, programs and services to people of all ages and interests.
There is an opening for the position of Public Services Clerk at the Clayton Branch. The Public Services Clerk performs duties related to the shelving and handling of library materials to maintain efficient, welcoming and inclusive library operations. This position reports to the Public Services Supervisor in the branch and is also accountable to the Branch Manager and/or Department Managers.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs shelving and shelf reading.
- Keeps library in neat and orderly condition.
- Handles incoming and outgoing materials.
- Sorts, shelves and cleans library materials.
- Assists in basic clerical tasks such as processing of materials, assisting with displays and program setup/takedown.
- Answers basic and directional queries, assisting the public at the point of contact.
- Locates and retrieves materials, such as holds and traces.
- Performs other related duties.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
- Completion of two years of secondary school.
- Knowledge of alphanumeric sequencing including the Dewey Decimal System.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail, including accurate sorting and spelling.
- Ability to meet physical demands of the work including safe handling of materials.
- Ability to work positively in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Commitment to continuous development and growth.
Rate of Pay
*May be subject to change due to the nature of the position
How to apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, send your completed application form and resume with the subject “Public Services Clerk Clayton” to SPLEmployment@surrey.ca. A criminal record check, with no conviction of any offence related to the position applied for, is a condition of employment.
The deadline is Monday, October 2 2023.
We thank in advance all applicants who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an organization that highly values its staff, and are committed to working as a team towards realizing the vision and mission of Surrey Libraries.
To learn more about the City of Surrey, where ‘the Future Lives Here’, please visit www.surrey.ca