Due to the large number of authors expressing interest in participating in Surrey Libraries’ Authors Among Us program, authors are required to submit their interest through this application.
The Library invites authors whose works are high quality, align with the Library’s community interests, and reflect Surrey Libraries’ mission, vision, and values to participate in the program.
Surrey Libraries only follows up with authors who meet the selection criteria and Library needs.
Author Selection Criteria
- Priority goes to authors residing in the Lower Mainland.
- Preference goes to culturally diverse and currently underrepresented authors (e.g. BIPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+, neurodiverse, disabled, etc.).
- No repeat appearances accepted. Past Authors Among Us presenters may consider renting a meeting room and organizing a private event and book signing.
- Authors must be willing and able to engage and interact with library patrons at the event.
- Authors must have prior experience in public speaking and be comfortable speaking in front of a diverse audience.
- Authors who decline an invitation or withdraw after confirmation are not eligible to participate in the future.
- Authors must accept that not all attendees will share their opinions and must be respectful to everyone involved in the program.
- Current and former Surrey Libraries staff, Board members, and their immediate family do not qualify as presenting authors.
- Preference goes to titles from established publishers.
Thank you for your interest!
Please note we only follow up with authors who meet the selection criteria and library needs.